Encounter difficult computer problems? All about maintenance and optimization of your Windows System.
Home > Think Tank > Add More 'Open With' Options to Explorer Context Menu
Add More 'Open With' Options to Explorer Context Menu
Jan 7, 2014
As soon as a right click on any file, you may have noticed some explorer context menu options. If you have installed Notepad++, you see "Open with Notepad++" in context menu. Like this, there are many Software, which automatically adds options to context menu.
Sometimes we need to add options to open the file with our desired program like Notepad, Chrome, so on.
There is a simple registry tweak for this.
1. Go to Run or press WIN+R and type in regedit and hit enter. Registry editor will open up.
2. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shell, add a new key by right clicking on shell folder.
3. Type the name of the option to be appeared, like “Open with Notepad”.
4. Now again right click on the above created key, type the name as "command" for the new key.
Double click on the default field under newly created command key on the right side and enter notepad.exe %1 in the data field. This adds Open with Notepad option to context menu.
6. Now you can right click on any file and check whether the new option has been added to context menu.
Like this, you can add open with Chrome, WordPad, Word, etc. Simply replace the notepad.exe with your desired program name as data under default key.